A bridge collapsed on a motorway in central eastern Italy on Thursday afternoon, claiming at least two lives and leaving three Romanian workers injured, according to La Repubblica.
The two dead were trapped in their car that had been caught under the debris when the bridge collapsed.
The accident occurred on A14 highway, at 235km, near Camerano (Ancona), on the Loreto-South Ancona section.
When the bridge collapsed the workers of a constructions company were carrying out works on the venue. The mayor of the Italian locality near the accident slammed the way maintenance works was carried through.
“The workers were trying to get up the level of the bridge with hydraulic rams, and the structure gave in: it’s obvious something went wrong,” said Roberto Ascani, mayor of Castelfidardo in Ancona province (Marche region).
“It’s unbelievable that works of this kind should have been done without closing down the A14 motorway”, he said.The footbridge was closed down for repairing works but not the traffic on the motorway that was crossing it.
The three Romanian workers who have been injured are aged 46, 47 and 56. They were working on the bridge’s maintenance, employed by Delabech company. Two of them were rushed to the Torrette Hospital in Ancone by helicopter. They fell from five-six metres high, but their condition is not serious. The third one has minor injuries, being admitted to the hospital in Osimo.
The deceased person are two Italian citizens, 60-year-old Emilio D. and his wife 54-year-old Antonella V. They were in their Nissan Qashqai car that has been crushed by the collapsing bridge.
The A14 is the main tour north to south along Italy’s eastern coast between Ancona and Loreto, the main Adriatic coast motorway.