The European Union is granting EUR 2 M for the restoration and digitalization of the oldest theatre building in Romania, the “Mihai Eminescu” Old Theatre, located in in Oravita, Caras-Severin county, in Banat region. The edifice was inaugurated in 1817, in the presence of the Imperial family of Austria, Francis Iof Austria and Carolina-Augusta.
The theatre building is a baroque monument built in the first part of the 19th century, being a carbon copy of the Imperial Court Theatre in Vienna, which doesn’t exist today anymore.
200 years later, the theatre in Oravita will undergo revamping works, and also repairing works will be conducted in the building’s contiguous area for the first time in its history.
Moreover, it will be equipped with the latest media and digital technologies.
“Mihai Eminescu” Theatre is the first one built in Romania and also a symbol of vocation and love for the art and culture of the inhabitants of Banat region. It was also the first building in Europe lighted with acetylene lamps and the first stone building in south-eastern Europe.
The building was erected after the plans and guidance of architect Ion Niuni, an Aromanian from Oraviţa who graduated the Academy in Vienna. The building has a length of 33 m and 15m wide, built on two levels.
Prestigious personalities of the Romanian culture have stopped by the Oravita theatre, such as poet Mihai Eminescu, who arrived here with the “Pascaly” theatre troupe, hence its name, actors Constantin Nottara and Constantin Tanase, or musicians Ciprian Porumbescu and George Enescu.