Fagaras and Rasnov fortresses in Brasov county will be revamped in the upcoming two years with European funds worth over EUR 8.5 M.
According to local authorities, Rasnov Fortress will undergo face lifts worth EUR 3.8 M, with rehabilitation works to last for about two years.
The revamping works will mainly target to recapture the original architectural look of the fortress, both indoor and outdoor. The Gothic Tower will be fully rebuilt, while two new bungalows will be erected in the Arms Tower area. The ornamental elements and inscriptions of the walls will be also restored. The rehabilitation projects also entails 15 new exhibition areas.
First mentioned in an official document in 1331, Rasnov fortress was built by Teutonic Knights as protection against invading Tartars and was later enlarged by the local Saxon population.
The fortress is luring a growing number of tourists year by year, also due to the numerous cultural events hosted by the fortress during the summer. Last year, 410,000 tourists visited Rasnov Fortress, but the number is higher as the access at the cultural events inside the citadel is free.
As for the Fagaras Fortress, the revamping project is worth EUR 4.9 M, with the financing contract to be signed in May. The rehabilitation includes major repairs but also new buildings.
Local authorities announced that two bridges- the Eastern one (swinging) and the Northern one (pedestrian) – will be readjusted, as well as the defense ditch, the defense path, the walls. The authorities say the restoration is meant to get the Fortress closer to its 17th-century look.
Built in 1310 on the site of a former 12th century wooden fortress (burned by the Tartars in 1241), Fagaras was enlarged between the 15th and 17th centuries and was considered one of the strongest fortifications in Transylvania. The fortress was surrounded by a deep moat, which, in times of war or social unrest, could easily be filled with water from a nearby mountain brook. A bridge over the moat provided the only access point. The fortress boasts three floors and five towers.
In 1948, Fagaras Fortress was taken over by the communists and served as a political prison until it was turned into a museum.
Today, the fortress houses the Fagaras County Museum, displaying Roman artifacts, a collection of medieval weapons and traditional folk crafts. The museum also hosts a beautiful collection of icons painted on glass.
The castle guards will by wearing medieval costumes and can be seen each Saturday and Sunday at 11:00, offering an exquisite show of the fortress’ old medieval touch.