A man aged 62 years old from Arad and a 58-year old from Timis County have died due to influenza, bringing the death toll to 52 on Friday, the National Institute for Public Health informs, quoted by antena3.ro.
None of them was vaccinated against the flu virus. For both of the men the A influenza type virus was confirmed and both of them had also other health problems, the same source informs.
Health Minister Sorina Pintea said on Thursday no flu epidemic would be declared, as the number of deaths, although high, has not exceeded the level that experts had expected.
“The cases of flu are on the decline as of this week, so we cannot speak about declaring outbreak, it has always been out of the question. It was only two weeks ago that the forecast level has been exceeded. The maximum level has never been reached. Indeed, it’s said that 47 people have though died, but we are in the expected margins,” the minister said.
Three death cases due to flu were announced on Wednesday evening and on Thursday: a 53-year-old-man from Tulcea, confirmed with A-H1 influenza type virus and who had pre-existing medical problems, a 35-year-old woman from Iasi, without pre-existing medical problems, confirmed with B flu virus and a 71-year-old woman from Ialomita county, also confirmed with the B flu virus, with other medical problems. None of them had been vaccinated against flu.