Morphosis Capital invests in Mark Twain International School

Morphosis Capital Fund II, a growth capital fund, together with Vybros Capital Partners, a Belgian family funded permanent capital fund, as a co-investor, announces the signing of the agreement to acquire the majority stake in Mark Twain International School (IS), the first private education institution in Romania with a dual curriculum. The partnership between the two entities aims to transform Mark Twain IS into a national leader in private education. This is Morphosis Capital’s first transaction of its second private equity fund.

“The partnership with Morphosis Capital marks a significant moment for the future development of Mark Twain International School, boosting plans to expand our premium education offering nationwide, making it accessible to children and young people in Romania’s most important cities. This step is the culmination of more than 28 years of continuous evolution in the private education arena, during which time Mark Twain IS graduates have been admitted, many with merit scholarships, to continue their undergraduate and postgraduate studies in more than 150 renowned national and international universities in 25 countries around the world, such as the University of Cambridge, Stanford, London School of Economics, UCLA, Berklee Boston, Guildhall School, EH Lausanne, Babeș-Bolyai Cluj, etc. We are excited to have a partner like Morphosis Capital at our side starting this year, with whom we are perfectly aligned in vision, goals and determination to support the development of Mark Twain IS. Together, we will continue to successfully shape the future of private education in Romania and contribute to the creation of generations of visionary and driven students who will provide ongoing added value to the local and international communities,” said Anca Macovei Vlasceanu, Founder and CEO of Mark Twain IS.

Mark Twain IS was founded in 1995 by Romanian entrepreneurs Anca and Dan Macovei Vlasceanu, with teaching being conducted exclusively in English or an English-Romanian bilingual system.

Between 1995 and 2023, over 5,000 students from Romania and 55 other countries attended programs at Mark Twain IS. Currently, 60% of the students studying at the school are from Romanian or mixed families, while the remaining 40% represent over 45 nationalities.

We are delighted to announce the first transaction made by Morphosis Capital’s second fund in a strategically important sector to any country – education. Today, Mark Twain IS is one of the most powerful names in the private education sector in Romania, a leader that was developed in more than 28 years by two outstanding entrepreneurs, Anca and Dan Macovei Vlasceanu. Mark Twain IS is also a pioneer in the private education system, being the first school to introduce the dual curriculum in Romania. We are thrilled that Anca and Dan have decided to continue the development of Mark Twain IS nationwide with Morphosis Capital, and we are confident that together, we will revitalize the private educational system in Romania. Our objective is clear: to transform Mark Twain International School into the undisputed leader of private education in Romania. Our shared vision is to expand the school’s national reputation by promoting the outstanding achievements of Mark Twain IS students and redefining the standards of excellence in education in all major cities of the country,” stated Andrei Gemeneanu, Managing Partner, Morphosis Capital.

The value of the investment in Mark Twain IS is in the range of 7-15 million euros pursued by Morphosis Capital in the second private equity fund. The capital infusion will contribute to the expansion of Mark Twain IS in Bucharest and other important cities in Romania organically, by opening new educational institutions, and through potential acquisitions of existing private education institutions. 

The transaction was facilitated by the law firms Radu Taracila Padurari Retevoescu (RTPR), as legal advisor to Morphosis Capital, and Popovici Nitu Stoica & Asociatii (PNSA), as legal advisor to Mark Twain IS. KPMG performed the financial and tax due diligence process for Morphosis Capital and Oxygen Finance advised Mark Twain IS. The transaction is subject to approval by the Competition Council.

The Mark Twain IS investment is the first carried out by the Morphosis Capital’s second fund. Through the first fund, launched in December 2018, Morphosis Capital owns stakes in five other companies in Romania, namely DocProcess, Medima Health, EMI, Cronos Med and Stay Fit Gym.

belgiancapital funddual curriculumgrowth capital fundinvestsmajority stakeMark Twain International SchoolMorphosis Capitalprivate education institution in RomaniaVybros Capital Partners
Comments (0)
Add Comment