The Floreasca Hospital’s ward for burnt in Bucharest will be operational in less than two months, the chief of the plastic surgery section Ioan Lascăr vowed on Tuesday.
He explained that the surgery room of the section has been operational since October and that 80-90 surgeries have been performed here for the patients injured in the Colectiv fire.
Lascăr told Mediafax that medical staff must be trained in the upcoming period, as the unit is new and is lacking the qualification for the medical staff taking care of burnt patients.
He said that at present the Health Ministry funds the training, but it is held in France, with the support of the French Embassy in Bucharest. The chief doctor expressed hope that the medical staff for burnt patients could be trained at the Floreasca’s new ward in about 4-5 years.
However, he warned that the work force is not a problem, but it is the small wages that are discouraging young doctors and nurses to opt for this specialization.
The modern medical unit for burnt was commissioned at Floreasca Hospital in April last year. The handpicked unit was equipped with six wards and a surgery room. The construction works began in 2000 and ended in 2008, with the District 1 City Hall funding the project.
After the Colectiv fire that claimed 63 lives and left another 147 injured, when the lack of special units for burnt came to surface, local media reported some irregularities related to the upgrading process of the Floreasca unit for burnt. An investigation carried on by RISE Project revealed that the company providing the new section with modern medical equipment was owned by Aurel Galea, the business partner of the former Bucharest Mayor Sorin Oprescu (who meanwhile has been arrested for corruption), who also sponsored the mayor’s electoral campaign. The unit outfit contract mounted to about EUR 9 M.