Parenthood is one of the most significant and precious stages of life. However, the road to become a mother is not always easy and involves many obstacles. As a result, a woman’s health insurance plan should include coverage for maternity benefits.
If you are looking for maternity insurance policy in India, there are some key benefits you need such as coverage for prenatal and postnatal child care costs, including diagnostic testing, medications, and hospitalization.
There may be several maternity insurance policies in India, but it is crucial to choose one that fits your needs and budget appropriately. In order to ensure that you have the best maternity insurance policy in India, you need to understand the benefits offered under maternity insurance policy in India so you can compare different plans.
Here’s what you should know:
- Maternity Insurance Policy in India covers: The definition of maternity expenditure is included in the IRDAI’s Circular on Standardized Definitions, which was published in 2013, and all insurers must use it. It basically covers any hospitalization related to childbirth, as well as medical termination of pregnancy and pre/post-natal costs. The following expenditures are included in the Maternity expense.
- Hospitalization due to maternity: Pre-hospitalisation costs to be covered 30 days prior and post-hospitalization costs to be covered 60 days post-delivery.
- Includes delivery expense: Maternity Insurance Policy in India takes care of normal as well as caesarian delivery including post-delivery complications for the mother if any.
- Other costs: This normally includes all the other costs like room charges, fees for medical practitioner, nurse charges, surgeon charges, ambulance charges, etc.
- New-born cover:Maternity Insurance Policy in India covers the new-born baby medical costs for 90 days.
- Waiting period and sublimit: Most maternity insurance policies include a waiting period after which the insurance kicks in, which may last anywhere from three to six years depending on the policy. Only after that can a policy receive benefits. Ideally, it is best to purchase a maternity insurance policy in India a few years before you plan to have a baby. This will ensure that the waiting period is complete when you require the benefits of the policy. Trusted insurers like Care Insurance have a waiting period of only 9 months. To know more about this plan, visit the website.
- Exclusions:There are certain exclusions with maternity policy in India such as a pre-existing illness, suicides, dental treatment charges, treatments that are not allopathic, congenital diseases, infertility diseases, etc.
- Premium:Maternity insurance policy in India typically have higher premiums. Thus, the earlier you start with the maternity insurance policy in India the lower are the premiums.
Maternity insurance policy in India has gained importance not only for the financial help that it provides but also for the mental stability that it offers. It helps you start a new chapter of your life without constantly worrying about the sudden financial responsibilities.
Before you decide to get maternity insurance, it’s critical to understand what will be covered. In general, maternity insurance covers the following:
- Pre-hospitalization and post-hospitalization costs for 30 days and 60 days, respectively.
- Expenses for both normal and C-section deliveries.
- Nursing, room rent, operating room charges, anesthetist fees, and doctor fees are all included in hospitalization costs.
- Expenses associated with a newborn child’s medical treatment.
- Treatment in a day care facility.
- Insurance to cover the cost of vaccinations for newborns.
- Expenses for transporting the insured by ambulance.
- In network hospitals, there is no charge for treatment.
Apart from this, you are also eligible to receive tax deductions on the premiums paid for the maternity insurance policy in India. Under Section 80D of the Income Tax Act, 1961, you can save up to Rs. 60,000 for the premiums paid in a year.