Football: Supporters clash with police after Romania-Hungary tie

Romania-Hungary football match played in Bucharest on Saturday for the European Championship preliminaries brought more violence than true sport show. Romania and Hungary squared on Lia Manoliu national arena, Rusescu scoring for the national football team in minute 44, while Dzsudzsak kicked for our Western neighbors almost 40 minutes later.

The match got to the stadium tribunes somewhere after the game started with clashes between supporters and the security company agents, which denounced that part of the fans is coming to the bowl to fight with the gendarmes or among them. “The clashes began before the 15th minute, when Hungarian gallery broke the security chain and fall over Dinamo and U Cluj football clubs’ supporters which had been deployed on the same greensward. Gendarmes and BGS employees went smashing into the crowd to pour oil on troubled waters, but the latters did not respect that aged persons and children were among disorderly supporters. Eventually, the Romanian supporters have been evacuated”, Pro Sport daily reported.

On the other side, BGS spokesperson Antoniu Ungureanu claimed for Digi 24 “some security agents were thrown over the fence and beaten with belts” and “there are violent supporters who came to the match precisely to clash with police or with other supports”.

According to the Romanian Gendarmerie spokesperson, Irina Dragan about 30 Romanian supporters have been taken to the police station, with 5 having been forbidden to go to the stadium for a year. SMURD Bucharest coordinator Bogdan Oprita told Mediafax that 46 persons needed medical assistance before and after the match for thoracic, hands a and hand minor fractures or diabetes attacks.

Romanian Football Federation leader, Razvan Burleanu expressed his regret over the incidents, pledging to have a serious talk with the security company management over the clashes. “FRF condemns violent and unjustified attacks on supporters”, Burleanu said.

Similar clashes have break out at the previous Romania-Hungary match on September 6, 2013. Back then Hungarian supporters forced the riot police cordons, throwing smoke equipment at them protesting against the TV cameras.



Comments (0)
Add Comment