Saint-Gobain Glass invested EUR 180 M after 10 years of presence in Romania. New projects are on pipe


Get real time updates directly on you device, subscribe now.

Saint-Gobain Glass Romania, part of the French group Saint-Gobain, counts investments of approx. EUR 180 million on the local market, the funds being allocated to the development of the largest glass production unit in the country, located in Calarasi, as well as in the region.factory

“In this moment, the factory in Calarasi covers an area of 34 hectares, the construction of dedicated production lines and offices totaling over 10 hectares”, Norbert Teschner, General Manager Saint-Gobain Glass Romania Building said in a press conference. He added that today the company has 486 employees, of which 249 are involved in the production process.

The company has entered the Romanian market in 2005, the same year laying the headstone of the manufacturing plant in Calarasi – the largest greenfield investment after the ’90s, in Romania. The factory was inaugurated in 2007.

The initial investment of about EUR 135 million was achieved for the development of float glass line, and then, in 2008, was inaugurated the metal coating line, following an investment of about EUR 35 million. In 2013 was also opened the line of laminated glass, after a EUR 6 million investment. Another EUR 10 million were targeted in other upgrades of existing lines during this decade.10-ani-proiecte-sgg-presa_cmyk

The production capacity in the Saint-Gobain Building Glass factory is 21 million square meters of float glass. Of this, about 10 million square meters undergone a metallic coating on the sputtering line, and another 2 million square meters of glass (both float and sputters) goes to the laminated line.

Thus, the company produced several categories of glass – the float, coatings (ranges SGGCool-Lite, SGGPlanitherm, Anti-reflective glass, SGGDiamant, SGGStadip etc.).

“We permanently innovate and launch new types of glass, our main focus being expanding sales of products that offers benefits to the end-users regarding energy savings, safety and security”, Norbert Teschner added.


60 pc of the company’s production goes to exports

Regarding the company’s sales, 40 percent of production is directed to partners and projects on the local market. The remaining 60 percent of the products manufactured in Romania go abroad in 42 countries, including Bulgaria, Turkey, Serbia, Ukraine, Moldova, Hungary, Greece and Croatia.

Locally, the glass produced in Calarasi is used in all market segments, but mostly, 50 percent, is directed to projects in the residential segment. In second place among the types of projects where Saint-Gobain Buliding Glass products are used is the office segment.

“The maturing of the market in recent years has led to a stronger customer orientation towards types of glass with superior features such as SGGPlanitherm 4S SGGStadip Evolution and laminated glass, on the residential segment, and also to ranges like SGGCool-Lite, SGGXtreme, SGGDiamant. Together, these glass types with superior properties came to represent more than half of the turnover realised on the Romanian market”, the company’s representative says.


New production line for windshields is in plan in Calarasi

The officials of the company said that the plans for Saint-Gobain Building Glass Romania doesn’t stop here. Thus, in the next period, the company aims to allocate new investments for the inauguration of a new production line.

“For 2018 we have in plan a new production line of special glass for windshields. The new line will have a capacity of 500,000 windshields per year. We will also hire another 130 people,” said Norbert Teschner. It stressed further that the new investment is in line with local and European market needs.

Regarding the company’s business, Teschner said that this year the company counts on a business advance of 9-10 percent compared to 2015, when Saint-Gobain Buliding Glass turnover reached approx. EUR 72 million.

“In the first half of this year, the growth was accelerated and we reached an income of EUR 42.6 million. Therefore, we are optimistic and we expect for 2016 sales of over EUR 80 million”, he added.


- Advertisement -

Leave A Reply

Your email address will not be published.

This website uses cookies to improve your experience. We'll assume you're ok with this, but you can opt-out if you wish. Accept Read More