President-elect of the European Commission, Ursula von der Leyen, would have rejected Romania’s second nomination for the EU Commissioner, namely Dan Nica, sources from Brussels told mass media.
Other sources claim that the EC President-elect will take a decision only after the censure motion that will be voted in the Romanian Parliament on Thursday.
An EC spokeswoman told Digi24 that she can only confirm that the Romanian Government had sent a letter to the Commission on October 7 and that letter contained the name of a candidate who “had been already interviewed by the President-election, and had been rejected.” The spokesperson said that “Romania’s proposal has not been accepted yet and that the EC team is still on touch with both governments (Romanian and Hungarian), while the selection process continues.”
Romanian Liberal MEP Siegfried Mureșan has revealed in a Facebook post on Tuesday evening that Ursula von der Leyen will not accept any candidate for a Commissioner seat from a Government “in the process of being dismissed”.
Hungarian journalist Katalin Halmai, press correspondent in Brussels, has also tweeted: “von der Leyen has not accepted yet the nomination of Hungarian @OliverVarhelyi to be candidate for Commissioner because she is still awaiting for the Romanian nominee. UVL interviewed Dan Nica earlier & rejected him. Nevertheless Bucharest insists on his nomination. #deadlock”.
In a phone conversation Ursula von der Leyen had with the Romanian PM Viorica Dancila during a PSD meeting last week, the President-elect of the European Commission had told Dancila to nominate a woman for the Commissioner seat assigned to Romania, so, Dancila has complied with the request, announcing PSD that she has a backup version, namely Gabriela Ciot, secretary of state within the Romanian Foreign Ministry. However, it seems now that Ciot has not been officially proposed to the EC.