Intelligence chief in Chisinau calls for calm after stating that Russia would plan to invade the Republic of Moldova in January 2023

0

Get real time updates directly on you device, subscribe now.

The Intelligence and Security Service (SIS) of the Republic of Moldova came, on Monday evening, with new clarifications after the statements of its director, Alexandru Musteață, who said that Russia would plan to invade the country at the beginning of 2023, depending on what happening on the Ukrainian front.

SIS states, after Musteata’s statements, that Russia’s objective would be to create a land corridor to Transnistria, but that the implementation of such a plan would depend on the situation in Ukraine. “In the context of the statements of Mr. Alexandru Musteata, director of SIS, for TVR Moldova regarding the main risks to national security, in which reference was also made to the analysis of several scenarios in which the Russian Federation would attempt a land invasion through the north of Ukraine, towards Republic of Moldova, we specify that the director of the SIS mentioned that the objective of the Russian Federation to create a land corridor to the Transnistrian region is still valid today, and a new offensive of the Russian Federation in this direction could take place in 2023. Also, putting their application depends on the developments of the war in Ukraine. We respectfully request the media representatives to include the SIS specification in the materials published on this subject”, the specifications sent by the SIS show.

In his turn, Musteață had a new intervention, on Monday, on TVR Moldova and clarified his own statements, specifying that he was referring to a general objective of Russia to advance towards the west of Ukraine and, at the same time, calling for calm: “First of all, I want to make a small call for calm to the citizens, today there was a small wave of discussions in society, regarding how my statements were interpreted. (…) The Russian Federation will try a new offensive towards the west, the offensive towards the west assumes that they have a clear objective where or how they want to continue the fight, this objective they have set since February 24, this objective has not has been changed since then until today. The objective of the Russian Federation to continue the offensive to the west throughout the territory of Ukraine remains valid for them. (…) The information held by the Intelligence and Security Service together with its partners indicates that, in 2023, we can expect with high probability a new offensive on the territory of Ukraine to the west”, the Moldovan intelligence head said.

 

The Russian Federation is planning to invade the Republic of Moldova as well and this could happen even at the beginning of 2023, said the director of the Intelligence and Security Service, Alexandru Musteață, in an interview with TVR Moldova on Monday. “The Russian Federation intends to go further. With the aim of creating a junction with the Transnistrian region, which is the territory of the Republic of Moldova”, warned the head of the Intelligence and Security Service of the Republic of Moldova.

Musteata also said that the implementation of the scenario depends on the developments of the war in Ukraine. According to the official, several scenarios are being analyzed in which Moscow would try including a land invasion through the north of Ukraine, towards the Republic of Moldova.

“The question is not whether the Russian Federation will make a new offensive towards the territory of the Republic of Moldova, but when this will happen: either at the beginning of the year, January, February, or later, March, April. But, from the information we have we, the Russian Federation, intend to go further. With the aim of creating a junction with the Transnistrian region, which is the territory of the Republic of Moldova, and then with clarity we can say that yes, they intend to reach here, to connect. What will later, their intentions in relation to Chisinau, we can discuss, but this is a real and very high risk,” the head of SIS told TVR Moldova.

The head of the Intelligence and Security Service also added that the largest munitions warehouse in Europe, the one in Cobasna, in the Transnistrian region, is secured by the Russians, at maximum capacity. One of the hypotheses is the use of these munitions in a possible military confrontation.

At the end of November, a similar statement came from the ambassador of Ukraine to the Republic of Moldova, Marco Şevcenko. “The war in Ukraine is still a threat to the Republic of Moldova. The risk of an invasion is low now, but the Kremlin has put Moldova on a list with Ukraine,” he said.

- Advertisement -

Leave A Reply

Your email address will not be published.

This website uses cookies to improve your experience. We'll assume you're ok with this, but you can opt-out if you wish. Accept Read More