Bucharest Committee for Emergency Situations has decided to lift more restrictions in the Capital city starting Monday, January 25. The decision comes after the Covid-19 infection rate has been below 3/1,000 inhabitants for the past three days in a row.
Therefore, indoor restaurants, bars, cafes are re-opening within a 30 percent capacity limits, as well as theater halls and gambling halls.
Bucharest prefect Traian Berbeceanu told RFI on Monday that lifting part of the restrictions had been decided based on a government resolution signed by Health minister Vlad Voiculescu himself. The comment comes after minister Voiculescu raised doubts on the official statistics’ accuracy on declining infection rate.
Moreover, the prefect explained that the authorities risked being sued by the owners of the restaurants or event managers if they didn’t proceed with the relaxation of these restrictions. “We were risking being taken to court by the operators in the HoReCa industry, by the licensed gambling operators, by the event planners, by the theaters and concert halls. They could ask for very high compensations and they could naturally win those lawsuits”, Berbeceanu added.
“We are in a fortunate situation in Bucharest, the incidence index stands at 2.5. The credit belongs to the Bucharesters who wore face masks and maintained the social distancing”, general mayor of Bucharest, Nicusor Dan said on Friday.
“As for the performance halls, theatres and cinemas, they will re-open with 30% audience attendance. Gambling halls will also be able to re-open, with 30pc capacity limit during 06:00hrs to 21:00hrs.,” Nicusor Dan stated, adding that the local authorities will increase checks during this period to ensure that measures are well observed.
He did not comment on the Health Minister’s statements, Vlad Voiculescu, who said that his ministry’s recommendation is against the re-opening.