Ex-director of the Romanian Foreign Intelligence Service (SIE) Teodor Melescanu told RFI on Friday that a Romanian citizen has allegedly left the country to join the Islamic State (IS). “We know he left Romania, we are not sure if he actually made it for the targeted destination, as nobody can watch closely every Romanian’s movements. We are too many and we are travelling a lot. If the information proves out to be true, his coming back to Romania wouldn’t be any danger”, Melescanu pointed out. Asked if Romanian authorities aren’t supposed to know if he has come back to the country, the former SIE head said: “there is no problem, who is supposed to know already knows”.
Defense Minister Mircea Dusa stated last week that Romania will stands by NATO, EU partners in fighting IS terrorist group.