President Klaus Iohannis has sent a letter to Prime Minister Viorica Dăncilă on Thursday announcing the rejection of the appointment of Lia Olguta Vasilescu as Deputy Prime Minister and Minister of Regional Development and Public Administration.
“I have decided to reject the nomination of Mrs. Lia Olguta Vasilescu as Deputy Prime Minister, Minister of Regional Development and Public Administration,” the letter reads, according to a release posted on the Presidency website.
The head of state calls on the Premier to submit another proposal for the position.
The President argues that he has rejected the nomination because Lia Olguta Vasilescu lacks the necessary training in this field.
“Analysing the activity of the proposed person, as resulting from the documentation, I’ve found out that Mrs. Lia Olguta Vasilescu lacks the needed training for all the fields to be managed as minister in this position. (…) Mrs. Vasilescu also lacks experience in promoting and managing the government policies at national level in the complex field of regional development and public administration,” the release quoted the President as saying.
The head of state also reminds that, as Labour Minister, Lia Olguta Vasilescu promoted a non-transparent framework in relation with the civil society and in the social dialogue and has made controversial statements.
“(…) She made controversial statements, carried out virulent attacks on persons, had a certain language in public communication, laid pressure on the judiciary, noticed by the Superior Council of Magistracy, all these contradict the responsibility demands which involve a high public dignity such as the Deputy Prime Minister, Minister of Development and Public Administration,” the President is quoted as saying.
Vasilescu to file criminal complaint
Lia Olguta Vasilescu says she would file a criminal complaint against the President. She makes several remarks:
- There is no reasoning related to legality in the rejection;
- He says I have no administrative experience. I’ve been mayor of one of the largest cities in Romania and the citizens have appreciated my performance;
- The President has been only teacher and mayor; I’ve had three terms of MP, I’ve been mayor for 5 years and 2 years minister;
- The actual reason for rejecting me is related to my political statements, a Stalinist reason;
- He refers to a CSM release, given that I have been cleared by six courts;
- The President’s release mentions my reputation and morality, it’s embarrassing for a president to use instruments used by those who post lies against politicians;
- As there is no reason of legality for rejection, it is personal hatred. I believe this is actual abuse of office, reason for which I’ve started to draw a criminal complaint, Vasilescu wrote on Facebook.