Home / SOCIETY & PEOPLE / SOCIAL / Protesters attending the motorized march in Bucharest, banned to enter Victoriei Square
Protesters attending the motorized march in Bucharest, banned to enter Victoriei Square
Facebook page of”Impreuna pentru A8”

Protesters attending the motorized march in Bucharest, banned to enter Victoriei Square

Hundreds of drivers from Moldavia region came to protest in Bucharest on Saturday over the lack of road infrastructure. The initiators of the protest march, two associations from Iasi, have previously sent a set of demands to the Government. Mainly, people want to notify auhtorities over the need of highways to link eastern country to the Capital and other cities.

Demonstrators want clear deadlines for the conclusion of A7 and A8 highways, but also for the establishment of an Infrastructure Department in Moldavia, directly subordinated to the Prime Minister.

The two major highway projects, included in the Transport Master Plan, have been delayed for years by the transport authorities: cancelled contracts, failed auctions, dozens of deferred deadlines for design.

However, incidents have been reported during the motorized march, after the Gendarmerie had blocked the vehicles access in Victoriei Square on the ground they lack authorization. So, about 60 vehicles have blocked the traffic on DeKiseleff Blvd, on the way from the Arch of Triumph to Victoriei Square.Protesters attending the motorized march in Bucharest, banned to enter Victoriei Square

The representatives of the organizations that staged the protest said they had peacefully protested, and that there had not been any incidents. ”We want to get in front of the Government building and we are not allowed. There is no other protest in Victoriei Square, they have just blocked our access,” said one of the organizers, Mihaela Munteanu.

On the other hand, the Bucharest Gendarmerie spokesperson argued the cars have no permit to stay in the Victoriei Square, for it is illegal to park in that area. The spokesperson said that people can go there to protest, but without cars.

Demonstrators shouted ”Let us through”, ”We want respect”, ”We want highway, not criminals in the street”, ”Moldavia wants to get back home, gendarmes do not let us”, ”Moldavia keeps going, it got out”.

The vehicles attending the motorized march have come Moldavia, passing through 11 counties- Suceava, Botoşani, Iaşi, Neamţ, Bacău, Vaslui, Brăila, Galaţi, Vrancea, Buzău, Ialomiţa- and with some other vehicles from Ilfov joining the protest.

About Romania Journal