The Bucharest Police chief Nicu Dragos Orlando has resigned following the scandal that has been shaking the Police for about a week when a traffic agent has been revealed as the author of several sexual aggessions on children. Orlando’s deputy, Marius Eugen Ştefan has also resigned from office. Orlando had been named at the helm of the Bucharest Police in September last year, while his deputy Stefan, in July 2015.
At the same time, 22 policemen are investigated by prosecutors, being suspected of having protected over the years the pedophile policeman Eugen Stan, who is suspect in 15 cases of sexual abuse on children and women.
Overall, 100 police officers have been heard over suspicions that the aggressor would have been covered by his colleagues and thus he got away with being punished. Practically, almost a quarter of them are indeed suspected of having protected Eugen Stan.
The information is included in the Romanian Police chief’s report, required by PM Tudose several days ago. Quaestor Bogdan Despescu had presented the 11-page report to the premier on Friday, a report which shows that Despescu’s deputy, Marius Voicu is also under disciplinary investigation in the file.
The General Prosecutor’s Office has extended investigations in the case of the police agent suspected of sexual aggressions on minors, probing if the policemen from the Police precinct 18 would have discriminated in his favor by hiding the fact he is a police officer while investigating a complaint against him. The suspect Eugen Stan is accused of sexually aggressing a woman in Bucharest in 2016.
“Prosecutors are to probe into the way investigations have been carried out by the Police precinct no.18 of the District 5 in Bucharest, in the case of the sexual aggression against a woman on December 10, 2016. More precisely, prosecutors are to determine if the defendant Stan Eugen has been helped in the view of hindering checks or of preventing he is criminally held responsible,” says a press release by the General Prosecutor’s Office, which has been taken over Stan’s cases on Wednesday.
The Prosecutor’s Office upon the District 5 Court revealed there is a complaint for sexual aggression filed by a woman against Stan in 2016, accusing the policemen of the Police precinct 18 in Bucharest that they had hidden that Eugen Stan was a police officer, moreover that they had proposed to close down the case.
A woman filed a complaint against Eugen Stan on December 10, 2016 at the Police precinct 18 in Bucharest and policemen started in rem criminal prosecution for sexual assault. During investigations, the agents of the Precinct 18 asked the images captured by the video cameras in the area where the aggression had taken place.
The prosecutors argue that the report sent by the policemen of the precinct 18 mentioned that the surveillance system had been improperly installed and thus it was not operational, which was also confirmed by the administrator of the block of flats where the aggression had taken place.
Subsequently, the policemen proposed to the prosecutors to close down the case, but their report didn’t mention that Eugen Stan was a policeman.
The Prosecutor’s Office upon the District 5 Court says that a prosecutor had sent a note to the Bucharest Traffic Brigade to say if Eugen Stan is policeman or not. After receiving the answer, the Prosecutor’s Office sent the case to the Internal Control Bureau of the Bucharest Traffic Brigade to continue investigations.
However, the former chief of the Police precinct 18, Radu Viorel contradicted the prosecutors, claiming that in the 2016 assault case, it was known at that moment that Eugen Stan was working at the Traffic Police Brigade.
“The event that night was reported by Telex note to the Bucharest Police. The note mentioned twice that the person was a police agent within the Traffic Police Brigade,” Radu Viorel, former head of the precinct 18 in Bucharest, told Digi24.
“I say what my colleagues also told me: that night the policeman in charge with that case got in touch with the surveillance prosecutor, and the note in the file says that the suspect was police agent at the Traffic Police Brigade. In the file there is his statement clearly reading that he was a traffic agent. So, the prosecutor’s office cannot claim they haven’t been informed,” the former police chief said.
On top of all, the Judicial Inspection within the Superior Council of Magistracy started an investigation on the prosecutors from the Prosecutor’s Office upon the District 5 Court who investigated Eugen Stan, the policeman suspected of several crimes of sexual aggression.