795 criminal complaints have been filed at the Military Prosecutor’s Office so far, related to the violent intervention of the gendarmes against protesters. Over 450 people needed medical aid, with many of them fainting because of the tear gas sprayed by the riot police.
The Prosecutor’s Office has ordered on Friday that the tear gas in the Romanian Gendarmerie’s ammunition equipment should be expertized.
At the same time, deputy mayor of Bucharest, Aurelian Badulescu has been heard by the prosecutors on Friday afternoon, saying he and Bucharest Prefect Speranta Cliseru had been in a room in a building near Victoria Palace during the Diaspora rally on August 10, from 4 p.m. until 4 a.m. He said there was no mobile command center, but just a room in a building near the Government’s office, which was guarded by SPP.
Asked by the journalists on his way out if somebody from the Gendarmerie has been wrong in the intervention procedure, Badulescu said “the Gendarmerie made no mistakes”.
“We were facing a public chaos, prompted by Belfast-type street fights (…) which got out of control, for the violence was almost unimaginable“, he argued.