Anders Lindberg, member of the Royal Council, has told public television TVR that His Majesty King Mihai I has taken the decision to remove his nephew from the heir succession line, but refused to explain the reasons behind the decision. Lindberg is the informal consultant of the Swedish Heir Princess, Victoria. He deals with the image of the former Royal House of Albania and, since 2015, is part of the Royal Council of Romania. He accepted to talk about the misunderstandings surrounding the Royal Family of Romania, and Lindberg’s statement contradicts Nicholas Medforth Mills, who says he does not believe that his grandfather was the one who has withdrawn the title.
Nicholas Medforth-Mills, the nephew of King Mihai, released late last week a press communiqué regarding various issues of his relations with the Royal House and his grandfather.
Among other things, he says that “my statement of August 2015 regarding the withdrawal of the title was not written by me, I was forced to accept it. I refused to sign it and until today, it remains unsigned.”
He also stressed that “knowing him well and spending many years with him, I have the conviction that my grandfather, King Mihai himself, who spent many decades in exile, would not have asked me to leave Romania permanently. If he had anything to say to me, he would have told me directly, as he did every time.”
In an unprecedented move, Romania’s Royal House announced in August 2015 that Prince Nicolae, the son of Princess Elena, has been removed from the line of succession to the defunct Romania’s throne and has been also stripped of the “Romania’s Prince” and “Royal Highness” titles.
According to a Royal House’s press release, on August 1 H.M. King Mihai signed a document enforcing these decisions.
file photo: King Mihai I and Nicolae