Bucharest Tribunal has postponed the decision on businessman Dan Voiculescu’s release on parole for July 18. The former tycoon is currently serving the ten-year sentence in prison in the ICA file.
The tribunal has judged an appeal filed by the National Anti-corruption Directorate after the District 5 Court has admitted the request to release Dan Voiculescu on parole on June 9.
The anti-corruption prosecutor pleading against Voiculescu’s release said in the courtroom that the businessman had not showed signs of correction in prison and he is not qualified for release at the moment.
The prosecutor also argued that there is a huge disproportion between those 56 days earned by Dan Voiculescu for the work in the penitentiary and the other 330 days granted for the works he has written.
“Voiculescu had no deserving behavior, but a normal one typical to any convicted person. The defendant has not paid the prejudice in the file and not even the judiciary expenses to the Romanian state,” the prosecutor pointed out.
On the other side, Voiculescu’s lawyer, Florian Surghie said that the businessman had a normal behavior in detention and that he had been rewarded 12 times and this is a proof of correction.
The defender added that Dan Voiculescu hasn’t paid the prejudice in the ICA file because his entire fortune is seized and has no money available, except for his pension.
“Dan Voiculescu cannot pay the prejudice, for his fortune and his daughters’ is seized (….) I would look at Dan Voiculescu like a 71-year-old person who has stayed in prison for almost 3 years. He is a respected university professor. Dan Voiculescu was wrong and was punished. He is a 71-year-old man who is suffering in detention,” the lawyer argued.