Radu Enache, the lawyer of former Prince Nicolae, says that he “will be received in the family” at the funeral of King Michael. The news comes after Nicolae (Nicholas Medforth-Mills) last month was forbidden to visit his dying grandfather.
“Nicholas can take part in the funeral ceremony alongside his family and especially in the group of the king’s grandchildren and great-grandchildren, he will be welcomed in the family and close to the family, not only he, but his fiancée will be able to stand with the family,” said lawyer Radu Enache for Antena3 TV.
The conflict in the royal family became public in the summer of 2015. At that time, King Michael wrote a letter by which he withdrew Nicolae’s “Prince of Romania” title and denied his right to be called the “Royal Highness.” On the same day, King Michael I excluded his grandson from the line of succession to the Crown of Romania.
In early November the Royal Family accused former Prince Nicolae of trying to break into the house in Versoix, Switzerland, and that he assaulted several people. The Royal Family has filed a criminal complaint against Nicolae.
Two days ago, Nicholas Medforth-Mills, posted on his social network page a message reading that Romania has lost one of the greatest leaders of the 20th century and that he would not forget what His Majesty taught him about the real values.
The lawyer of former Prince Nicolae said on Tuesday that the king’s grandson will attend the funeral, although he was not informed by his family about His Majesty’s demise.
King Michael I, who died in Switzerland on Tuesday aged 96, will be buried at Curtea de Arges on December 16. Following the request of the Romanian Crown Custodian, King Michael’s funeral will observe the tradition of his Majesty’s late ancestors, so he will be brought and buried in Romania.