First of all, a ball autographed by Romanian football legend Gheorghe Hagi – it is known that Pope Francis is a great football fan and a fan of an Argentinian team.
The list of presents includes, according to digi24.ro, quoting the Presidency, the following issues:
- A carpet manufactured in the region of Oltenia
- Embroidered cincture from Transylvania
- A traditional towel from Muntenia
- Painted eggs from Bucovina
- Pottery from Horezu, Oltenia
- Pipe from Moldavia, Vrancea County
- Icon of the Lord’s Ascension;
- Acacia honey – Transylvania/Blaj area;
- Magiun/fruit jam (Magiunul de Topoloveni) – Muntenia;
- paddle that belonged to rower legend Ivan Pazaichin (former Olympic champion – our note);
- Ball and T-shirt autographed by footballer Gheorghe Hagi;
- Collection wine Italian Riesling, Minis vineyard dated 1936 – Banat Crişana;
- Collection Wine – Feteasca Regala – Dealurile Moldovei, 1998;
- Red Golem Wine, Basilescu Wine Cellar, 2013 – Muntenia;
- CDs with the works of composer George Enescu.
The Pontiff Sovereign has had also a private meeting at Cotroceni Palace with Prime Minister Viorica Dancila. On this occasion, the Romanian Premier has offer a gift to Pope Francis – a watch manufactured specially for this occasion by Romanian watchmaker Augustin Matei.
The watch’s dial is painted with the image of St. Francis de Assisi, inspired by a fresco made by painter Giotto. The dial also includes three elements of emotional nature: a rock from Argentina (Pope Francis is of Argentinian origin); a volcanic rock from Etna; a piece of Romanian soil.
On the back of the watch, on the rotor of the mechanism, there is a piece of malachite – a blue rock that is said to have been used to paint the Monastery of Voroneţ in blue (Monastery included in UNESCO heritage – our note).
The strap is made of handmade leather, also by a Romanian, is simple and dark brown. The colour is very close to the dress of the Franciscan monks.
Premier Viorica Dăncilă has also offered as gift to Pope Francis an album on the Romano-Catholic Church in Romania: history, spirituality and heritage.
photo: gov.ro – PM Dancila offering as gift the Romanian made watch to Pope Francis