Hundreds protested Friday evening to mark one week since the violence in Victoriei Square

0 40

Several hundred people have protested Friday evening in Victoriei Square, in front of the Government offices, to mark one week since the violence on August ten during the Disapora rally.

No incidents were registered, the protesters left the square after 11.00h, while the remaining few chanted ‘We are not going to leave!’

During the protest, at 33.45h, they turned their back to the Government building, keeping their hands up. The crowd chanted ‘Freedom’ and ‘Resignation!’.

The first protesters arrived at the site at about 19.00h and before 20.00h, when their number reached about 200. The first gendarmes have also arrived at about the same time. The protesters were carrying the national and the EU flag, blew vuvuzelas, but they did not blocked the traffic in the area.

The rally against the Viorica Dancila cabinet and against PSD was announced on Friday evening, to silently commemorate the repression against the protesters on August 10.

The rally was called ‘Democracy is dying due to gas and sticks’ will take in place in Victoriei Square during 22.45-23.45h, the organisers of the event have informed on Facebook, informed.

“On Friday it is a week since the Diaspora protest, when we witnessed the revolting attack by the politically led Gendarmerie forces against peaceful citizens. According to the information from August 11, the order to clear the square was issued at 23.11h and 452 people needed medical care. There are other people who had symptoms and requested medical care in the following days. Let’s meet at 22.45h to silently commemorate the moment when the repression started,” the organisers wrote on Facebook.

Over 100,000 protesters gathered in Bucharest last Friday, in Victoriei Square for the Diaspora rally. All streets around the Government building were blocked by the law enforcement forces. The first incidents began around 4 p.m. and since then until midnight, hundreds of people needed medical care. Instigators have set on fire various areas, throwing ledges and glasses at gendarmes. In their turn, gendarmes retorted by force. Tens of innocent protesters ended up in hospital.

452 people have been injured overall (24 gendarmes), with 70 of them being hospitalized.

file photo


- Advertisement -

Leave A Reply

Your email address will not be published.

This website uses cookies to improve your experience. We'll assume you're ok with this, but you can opt-out if you wish. Accept Read More