His Holiness Bartholomew I, the Ecumenical Patriarch of Constantinople, has arrived in Bucharest on Friday in order to attend the consecration service of the Cathedral of National Redemption. He was welcomed at Henri Coanda International Airport by the Patriarch of Romanian Orthodox Church, Daniel.
Numerous believers in the country and abroad are expected on Sunday at the consecration service of National Redemption Cathedral, to be officiated by Patriarch Daniel, together with the Ecumenical Patriarch Bartholomew I, accompanied by a delegation of the Ecumenical Patriarchate, as well as by the delegation of the Greek Orthodox Church led by Metropolitan of Patra, Chrysostom, antena3.ro reports.
According to a release from the Press Office of the Romanian Patriarchate, the events related to the Consecration of the National Redemption Cathedral will take place according to the following programme:
- On Friday, at 12.45h, at the Patriarchal Cathedral, Patriarch Daniel will welcome Ecumenical Patriarch Bartholomew I, accompanied by a delegation of the Ecumenical Patriarchate, as well as the delegation of the Orthodox Church of Greece, led by Metropolitan of Patra, Chrysostom. On the occasion of this important event, the delegation of the Greek Orthodox Church will bring the shrine with the Holy Hand of St. Apostle Andrew, Protector of Romania. This shrine will remain in the Patriarchal Cathedral until the following day, Saturday, at 16.00h.
- On Saturday, at 16.30h, the shrine with the Holy Hand of Saint Apostle Andrew, the Protector of Romania, and the shrine with a fragment of the relics of the Holy Great Martyr Ecaterina will be placed for worship on the hallway of the Chapel of the National Redemption Cathedral, where they will stay until Sunday, at 13.00h.
- This moment will be followed, at 17.00h, by the Memorial Service for Romanian Heroes, officiated in the National Cathedral by the Patriarch of Romania together with other hierarchs.
- As of 18.00h, in the Chapel of the National Redemption Cathedral will take place the watching service of the Great Martyr Ecaterina and of the Holy Martyr Mercurie.
- On Sunday, as of 8.00h, at the National Redemption Cathedral will take place the Service for the Great Martyr Ecaterina, followed at 9.00h by the Consecration Service of the Altar of the National Redemption Cathedral. At the end of the service, the Consecration Act will be read.
- The Holy Liturgy will begin at 10.30h and will be carried out inside the National Cathedral. At 13.00h, the shrine with the Holy Hand of St. Apostle Andrew, Protector of Romania and the shrine with the relics of the Great Martyr Ecaterina will be placed at the exit of the Holy Altar in the National Redemption Cathedral to be honored by the faithful after their worship in the Holy Altar.
- According to the Patriarchate, the believers who wish to participate in the consecration service of the Altar of the National Redemption Cathedral are expected on the Esplanade in front of the National Redemption Cathedral, where they will be able to attend the Holy Liturgy on the specially mounted screens.
- According to the available interior space, during the Holy Liturgy, the 2,000 official guests will have access in the Cathedral, but after the Holy Liturgy, all the faithful Orthodox pilgrims will have access to the Cathedral both on the day of consecration (November 25) and in the following days (November 26-29, “the days of consecration”), having the opportunity to worship in the Holy Altar, newly consecrated, the quoted source reds.