Former Bamboo club in Mamaia resort burned up
A violent fire broke out inside the former Bamboo club in Mamaia seaside resort on the Romanian Black Sea coast on Monday night. The club, renamed Silence, located in the north side of the resort, has been totally destroyed. Fortunately, there have been no victims. The local press reported that the people who were in the club at that moment managed to get out in due time.
According to preliminary reports, the fire was caused by an unattended cooker.
Firefighters arrived on the scene used 10 fire trucks to extinguish the flames that were so violent also because of the high amount of combustible materials inside the building.
Two people who were probably sleeping in the nightclub were evacuated, while the first two firemen who entered the building on fire needed a break to recover, despite the fact they had protective clothing.
The chief firefighter of the Dobrogea Inspectorate for Emergency Situations, Daniel Popa, confirmed that three of the fire hydrants in the club were not functioning. Firemen had to use including the water from the pool of a hotel nearby.
The nightclub in Mamaia had a fire safety authorization, but lacked the operating permit and it was even fined over this issue last year.
The authorities said that the club was closed down this year when the emergency inspectors checked the premise.
Rumours went viral on social media that the fire has been deliberately set.
Bamboo club in northern Bucharest also burnt down in January 2017, with 38 people being injured. A previous fire was reported in Bamboo Bucharest in 2005.
Silence club (former Bamboo) in Mamaia is owned by Italian Joshua Castellano. Among the former shareholders of the company that owned Bamboo was also the Romanian fashion designer Catalin Botezatu.