- Tennis – Florin Mergea/Horia Tecau (photo) have been awarded the silver medals in the doubles event on Friday. In the final the Romanian pair was defeated by the Spanish pair made up by Rafael Nadal/Marc Lopez 6-2, 3-6, 6-4 in 2 hours and 26 minutes. The silver medals were won by Steve Johnson/Jack Sock (US) after defeating Daniel Nestor/Vasek Pospisil (Canada) 6-2, 6-4. In the mixed doubles, late on Friday, the pair Irina Begu/Horia Tecau was defeated by Hradecka/Stepanek 6-4, 7-5.
- Weightlifting – Gabriel Sancraian has won the bronze medal at the 85 kg category with a total of 390 kg (172 kg in the snatch event, 217 in the jerk event). The gold medal was won by Kianoush Rostami (Iran) with 396 kg.
- Handball – Romania women’s team has defeated Spain 42-21 (13-11) and keeps hopes alive to qualify. The last match in Group A is on Sunday against Norway at 22.40h Bucharest time. In order to qualify, Romania needs at least a draw. In another match on Friday, Norway defeated Montelegro 28-19.
- Table tennis – Romania was defeated by Korea 3-2 in the last sixteen round, after a tense encounter, as both teams have had their chance to win. Jeon Jihee vs. Elizabeta Samara 3-0 (11-6, 11-7, 11-7); Suh Hyowon vs. Daniela Dodean Monteiro 0-3 (6-11, 9-11, 9-11); Yang Haeun/Jeon Jihee vs. Bernadette Szocs/Daniela Dodean Monteiro 3-1 (12-10, 9-11, 13-11, 11-8); Yang Haeun vs. Elizabeta Samara 1-3 (8-11, 11-7, 10-12, 9-11); Suh Hyowon vs. Bernadette Szocs 3-2 (11-13, 14-12, 12-10, 9-11, 11-7). In the next round, Korea will face Singapore.
- Athletics – Florina Pierdevara failed to qualify in the 1,500m semi-finals with 4’11”55/100, personal best this season, however not enough to go further.
- Judo – Daniel Natea (24, 2.03m, 170 kg) was defeated in the last sixteen round of the +100 kg category by Abdullo Tangriev (Uzbekistan – who later won the silver medal) by waza ari and ippon, after defeating Yea-On Kunathip (Thailand) in the first round.
I am in late 50s, great age to become a philosopher! Yet, I am doing my job in journalism, trying to deliver clear and accurate information to our readers, be them expats in Romania or people living abroad and interested in the developments taking place here.
I worked for several important newspapers, attended a Reuters scholarship, had collaborations with Al-Jazeera and Intelstrat. As journalist, I had the opportunity to interview several Romanian ministers and the NATO Secretary General at the time Javier Solana.
Anyway, these are old stories, currently I focus on this news website and, together with my colleagues, I do my best to achieve our goals.
I hope most of our readers will continue to access our website. Keep in touch with Romanian realities! Several rounds of elections are ahead, the courts are expected to deliver some important rulings that may change the entire domestic spectrum. We’ll be here to keep you informed!