Simona Halep returned to the country on Monday by plane at around 12.00h. She was welcomed by Marius Dunca, Minister of Youth and Sports and by representatives of the Romanian Tennis Federation.
“Thank you, I’m excited. My dream has come true and I am glad that this is happening to us for the Romanians. I’m glad that this day will remain in history. Thanks to all those who have worked with me for 22 years,” Simona Halep said upon arrival at the airport in Bucharest.
“I thank Darren for believing in the first moment, that I can be number one in the world. I thank Mr. Ţiriac for everything he did for me, for believing I could reach this position,” Simona said.
Romanian tennis player Simona Halep is officially, starting on Monday, the new leader of the WTA rankings, the 25th, only 40 points ahead of Garbine Muguruza.
The next competition to sort out this year’s rankings is the WTA Finals in Singapore.
- Simona Halep – 6,175 points (+1)
- Garbine Muguruza – 6,135p (-1)
- Karolina Pliskova – 5,605p (+1)
- Elina Svitolina – 5,465p (-1)
- Venus Williams – 4,642p
- Caroline Wozniacki – 4,640p
- Jelena Ostapenko – 4,510p (+1)
- Svetlana Kuznetsova – 4,005p (+1)
- Caroline Garcia – 3,860p (+6)
- Johanna Konta – 3,795p (-3)