Known for having hosted the United States Embassy for over 70 years, Maurice Blank Palace located on Tudor Arghezi street in Bucharest, is put up for auction by Artmark Historical Estate with a starting price of EUR 5,500,000.
The Palace was the residence of one of the most important bankers of modern Romania, Maurice Blank, co-founder of the well-known Marmorosch Blank & Co bank (1864), the one who lent the Romanian state money in the campaign for the War of Independence, a release informs.
The property was designed by the famous Swiss architect Louis Pierre Blanc who left behind a legacy of important Romanian public buildings, such as, the Palace of the Ministry of Agriculture, the Palace of the Faculty of Medicine, the University of Iaşi Headquarters and the Victor Babes Institute.
2,500 built square meters in the 50 rooms, and a generous garden decorated with pine trees and a fountain, the Maurice Blank palace became an architectural landmark for the peculiar residences in Bucharest.
In 1934 the palace was purchased by the lawyer and politician Eduard Mirto, who was the last rightful owner until the installation of the Communist regime. Eduard Mirto will initiate the links between the Blank Palace and the United States Embassy, renting the building right before the outbreak of WWII.
The US Embassy will remain there until 2011 when the building re-entered the private circuit as one of Bucharest’s architectural masterpieces.