10 things you didn’t know about Peles Castle, Sinaia
Peles Castle is one of the most important historic buildings in Romania, having a unique character and it is, through its historical and artistic value, one of the most important monuments of its kind in Europe from the second half of the nineteenth century. Peles, the summer residence of the first Romanian royal couple, King Carol I (1866-1914) and Queen Elizabeth, was built between 1873 and 1914 on the sovereign’s demand, by architects Johannes Schultz and Karel Liman.
Museum specialists of Peles Castle revealed for Adevarul ten things less known about the former summer residence of the Romanian Royal House, which attracts tens of thousands of tourists from around the world.
- Peles Castle is the first building in Romania whose foundation is made of concrete.
- Building materials are mostly of Romanian origin: masonry is made from Prahova river ballast, stone was extracted from quarries in Piatra Arsa and Lunca Mare, the green stone was brought from Slanic, wood from nearby forests and bricks were burnt on site.
- Masons and carpenters were Romanian craftsmen. Wages for workers were: masons and carpenters: 5-7 francs per day, labourers 3 francs, while stonemasons were remunerated by the type and quantity of work; one cubic meter of stone: 200 francs, blacksmiths: 60 centimes per day.
- Two scrolls were deposited in a glass tube sealed in a lead one, along with a collection of coins with the image of Prince Carol minted in limited quantity and grounded to the Peles Castle’s foundation. Scrolls contained the statement of intention and the act of foundation of the Peles Castle.
- The arrangement of the Imperial Suite, on the first floor of the castle, for the Austro-Hungarian Emperor Franz – Joseph, cost, in 1906, the amount of RON 100,000 / gold.
- Although Peles Castle has never hosted balls, in 1892, with the occasion of the 27-year anniversary of Crown Prince Ferdinand, they danced in the Moresque Hall.
- The 2,000 characters carved in the Hall of Honor’s paneling were made by 140 artists who have worked for six months, day and night. The construction, decoration and furnishing for the Hall of Honor reached RON 1 million in gold in 1911. In the prewar period the RON-gold amounted $12.
- Between 1916 and 1918, Peles Castle was inhabited by General Mackensen and German officers who were happy just to use it without taking care of it, but without changing anything, not even the administration or staff.
- In 1883, the year of the inauguration, Thiergärtner Company in Mainz equipped the castle with hydrants. They are still functional.
- The glade and the castle’s platform were built by partial dislocation of some areas in Molomo? Mountain, leveled to obtain earth material necessary for the construction of the flanks, walkways and terraces. Using an aerial rope-way more than 20,000 cubic meters of earth material were transported.