The High Court for Cassation and Justice (ICCJ – Supreme Court) has released on Wednesday the reasons for sentencing Liviu Dragnea, in April last year, to two years on probation in the Referendum file.
The panel of five judges stated in the motivation that the sentence on probation is enough in Dragnea’s case, given that he had no criminal record, ziare.com informs.
Also, the magistrates say the punishment on probation is enough to determine Liviu Dragnea to have the right attitude against the law.
They considered he has all possibilities in the future to avoid the mistakes made, according to the quoted document.
The magistrates took into account that Dragnea showed up whenever he was called before the magistrates.
On the other hand, the magistrates said the sentence was increased by one year, from one year to two years on parole, because Dragnea never admitted the guilt, although the deeds were obvious. The court says the fact that Dragnea tried to detour the right to vote was very serious.
According to digi24.ro, the motivation has 300 pages, given that 70 other people were indicted along with Dragnea.
Liviu Dragnea received the final sentence in April last year of two years imprisonment on probation in the referendum file.
According to the National Anticorruption Directorate (DNA), as Secretary General of PSD, Dragnea has exerted influence to illegally coordinate an illegal mechanism through which the citizens were spurred to go to vote in the 2012 referendum for the dismissal of the then President Traian Basescu.
Liviu Dragnea: Our complaint will go further on
Liviu Dragnea said on Wednesday he has talked to his lawyer, who will go to the archives on Thursday to get the motivation.
“After we filed the complaint, suddenly the motivation came up,” PSD leader said, adding however that action in court will go further.
“If we hadn’t filed the complaint, this motivation would not come up. (…) We’ll see who signed this motivation, if they had the legal right to sign,” he said.
PSD leader Liviu Dragnea filed a complaint on Monday to the Bucharest Court in the referendum file in which he was sentenced to two years on probation. The court has set the first hearings for February 15. The action is an extraordinary appeal.