At least 29 injured in NYC explosion. MAE says no Romanians among the victims

0 49

At least 29 people have been injured in an explosion in a crowded district of New York City.

The cause of the blast late on Saturday in Chelsea remains unclear. Mayor Bill de Blasio described it as “intentional” but said that there were no known links to terror, bbc.co.uk informs.

The force of the blast blew out windows and could be heard several blocks away.

Another device, reportedly a pressure cooker rigged with wires, was later found in the same district.

None of the injuries is life-threatening but one is serious, New York’s fire commissioner said.

Most of those hurt suffered cuts and other minor injuries from glass and other debris.

The explosion occurred around 21:00 (01:00 GMT on Sunday). Witnesses said people ran in all directions following the “incredibly loud” blast.

Unconfirmed reports said the blast went off in a dustbin. Several blocks have been closed down by police.

Law enforcement officials said that the device found at the second Chelsea location appeared to be a pressure cooker attached to wiring and a mobile phone. Police said it had been removed safely.

Chelsea is among the most fashionable districts of Manhattan and its bars and restaurants are usually crowded at the weekend. Those in the area described being rocked by the explosion.

President Barack Obama is being kept up to date on the investigation, a White House official said.

 

MAE: Romanian General Consulate in New York has not received requests for assistance from Romanian citizens

 

The Romanian General Consulate in New York has not received requests for assistance from Romanian citizens, after the explosion which occurred overnight Saturday in the Chelsea district of Manhattan, said the Romanian Ministry of Foreign Affairs (MAE).

“Romania’s General Consulate in New York has taken action after the explosion occurred during the night of Saturday in the Chelsea district and has conducted verifications if among the victims are also Romanian citizens. So far, at the consular office were not registered requests for consular assistance from Romanian citizens. The Consulate General of Romania in New York continues to monitor the case and stands ready to provide consular assistance if the situation requires,” MAE informs.

 

- Advertisement -

Leave A Reply

Your email address will not be published.

This website uses cookies to improve your experience. We'll assume you're ok with this, but you can opt-out if you wish. Accept Read More