Home / TOP NEWS / Update4: Barcelona death toll rises to 14, more than 100 hurt. Four Romanians among the injured. IS claims the attacks

Update4: Barcelona death toll rises to 14, more than 100 hurt. Four Romanians among the injured. IS claims the attacks

The death toll of the terrorist attacks in Spain has increased on Friday. At least 14 people have been killed and over 110 injured in two separate attacks in the resort city of Barcelona and nearby coastal town of Cambrils. In both incidents, the suspects deployed vehicles to run pedestrians over.

Spanish police say they have killed five suspected terrorists in the town of Cambrils to stop a vehicle attack, after an earlier one in Barcelona.

The men, wearing explosive belts, were linked to the first attack, police say.

Thirteen people died and dozens were hurt when a van hit crowds in the Las Ramblas area of Barcelona on Thursday. The driver fled and is still at large, the BBC informs.

Sources say that the victims are of 18 nationalities, from Algeria, Argentina, Australia, Belgium, China, Cuba, France, Germania, Greece, Ireland, Italia, Macedonia, Netherlands, Peru, Romania, Spain, Hungary and Venezuela.

Spain’s PM Mariano Rajoy described it a “jihadist attack”, which so-called Islamic State said it had carried out.

Mr Rajoy has announced three days of national mourning and a minute’s silence will be held later on Friday.

Injured Romanians

Latest – The Romanian Foreign Ministry has informed on Friday that three Romanian citizens injured in Barcelona attack have been discharged from hospital and are to be treated as outpatient, while the third one is in stable condition. Information delivered by the Consulate in Barcelona. The hospitalized Romanian was visited on Friday by the Romanian Consul General.

The Romanian Foreign Ministry (MAE) informed earlier that according to the information from the Romanian Embassy in Madrid and the Consulate General in Barcelona, among the injured in Barcelona are four Romanian citizens. Romanian Consul in Barcelona, Manuel Plesa, quoted by Romanian media, says only one of them is hospitalized, the rest receiving medical care.

MAE informs that “the Spanish authorities have informed this morning Romania’s Consulate General that, among the injured persons in Barcelona attack, a third victim of Romanian citizenship has been identified. The same official sources say the citizen has been hospitalized but is not in serious condition. We underline that the procedures to identify the victims and the injured is an ongoing complex process, and things may change from one moment to another. We will provide updated information as we get it.”

Two of the injured Romanians in Barcelona are males aged 33 and 42, diplomatic sources say.

Previously, the Romanian Consul in Barcelona, Manuel Plesa, said that most likely the list is being completed and all information has been delivered by phone. “For the moment we know about two men. Allegedly a woman is also injured, but we are not sure she is Romanian considering the name. We will try to find out,” Manuel Plesa said. He added the information is that they are injured “but does not specify if they are in serious condition. It takes time. They will deliver the lists when these are completed.”

According to Daniel Tecu, the chairman of the Federation of Romanians’ Associations in Europe (FADERE), says the condition of the two injured Romanians is stable, one of them was reportedly on holiday. “I understand one of them was tourist in Barcelona, he has multiple fractures but he is under control. The second Romanian reportedly didn’t want to say what his name is, as he is in a better condition and didn’t want his family to panic,” Tecu said.

“The Consulate General in Barcelona representatives will pay a visit to the hospital where the Romanian citizens are hospitalized,” MAE says.

Romanian citizens may call for assistance at the following telephone numbers in Barcelona: +34 934 181 535; +34 934 344 223 or +34 661 547 853 and in Madrid +34 649 656 032.

A cell crisis has been set up by MAE to follow the developments.

Attack in Cambrils

The Spanish authorities are now also linking the attacks in Barcelona and Cambrils with an explosion at a house on Wednesday evening in the town of Alcanar that left one person dead, the BBC further reports.

In Cambrils, seven people, including a police officer, were wounded when a car was driven into them early on Friday, Catalan emergency services said. One person is in a critical condition.

Spanish media reported that the attackers’ vehicle overturned and when the men got out they were quickly fired upon by police.

A series of controlled explosions was then carried out.

Police say the situation in Cambrils – a popular seaside resort to the south-west of Barcelona – is now under control.

Meanwhile police are continuing to search for the driver of the van used in the Barcelona attack, who fled on foot. He is believed to be the sole attacker there.

Police have released a photo of a man named as Driss Oubakir (photo), whose documents were used to rent the van involved in the attack.

Local media say he is in his 20s and was born in Morocco. However, latest reports suggest he has told police he was not involved, and that his documents were stolen.

So-called Islamic State has said it was behind the Las Ramblas attack, saying in a brief statement carried by its Amaq news agency that it was carried out by “Islamic State soldiers”. The group gave no further evidence or details to back this claim.

About Valeriu Lazar